Market Insights

Unilever sites in UK powered by renewable energy

Unilever, 2020, 2030, Eneco, Netherlands, North Sea, Wind farm, renewable energy, Power Purchase Agreement

Unilever UK has signed several Power Purchase Agreements intended to power its manufacturing sites to run completely on renewable energy. The company announced earlier that the agreements have been effective since April.

A recent Power Purchase Agreement with a renewable energy company Eneco in the Netherlands proposes to power Unilever’s offices and factories through a wind farm in the North Sea. Unilever UK also signed an agreement in January to use 10,000 MWh of bio-methane in five of its UK and Ireland sites. Another agreement was signed with Eneco UK to acquire 87% of its electricity generated at the Scottish Highlands-based wind farm in Lochluichart. The remaining 13% of the generated electricity is sold to local communities at retail tariff.

“Eneco is proud to partner with Unilever to provide a solution to its 2030 ambition to become carbon positive,” said Zoisa Walton, country director, Eneco UK.

Yvette Edwards, sustainable business and communication director said, “It’s been an exciting start to the year in the UK where we are on a journey to improve the sustainability of our sites.” As part of the Sustainable Living Plan, in 2015: the company devised a brief strategy, to remove coal from its energy mix by 2020 and become carbon positive by 2030. In addition, Unilever also intends to directly support renewable energy generation to the extent that the surplus is made available to both—the markets and communities around.

“We are committed to working with companies in realising their sustainable energy ambitions as well as the local community through our partnership with Cooperative Energy on the ‘Highlands and Mearns Wind’ tariff. It is a good example of Eneco’s mission to provide sustainable energy for everyone,” added Walton.

MI Newsdesk

Add comment

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.